Monday, October 5, 2009

My neighbors

I spent a great deal of time next door with Eleanor and Gertrude. Eleanor's "Aunt Lil" lived in the house when I first used to visit, but she was very, very old. I remember her as the sweetest little old lady and she was bedridden in this little room they made up for her on the first floor. She gave me her goldfish that was in a goldfish bowl. I took him home and named him Morgan. I don't know why. That was the only pet I ever had.


I used to watch Liberace on tv when I was over there. They also had all kinds of board games and I would play by myself. There were wondrous jigsaw puzzles with hundreds of pieces that I would work on for hours. Little crystal bowls with chocolates in them were in several different rooms. I would sneak chocolates, as if no one knew.


The house had had a store attached to it and everything was left just as it had been on the day the store closed. It was a fascinating place where I would spend hours at a time just looking through stuff and letting my imagination rule.


In the house there was a kind of built in cabinet with a glass front and inside the cabinet was Wedgewood china. I knew it was very beautiful and very expensive and was never used but I really didn't know what Wedgewood was. They also had tall four poster beds and there was a little stepstool that you used to get into the beds because they were so high. I always felt like a princess if I stayed overnight and slept in one of those beds.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is very expressive, I love the bit about the shop...

    ReplyDelete